Tuesday, April 27, 2010

1984 newspaper ads

As I mentioned yesterday, I've come across quite a few old advertisements in newspapers from 1984 or so. Here are a few. This is for the Midopa department store in Myeongdong:


I hadn't heard of Inkel stereos before:


I have heard of Lemona...


Daewoo had computers available back then...


He looks healthy...


Stop means stop!


I hope she's not going to knock that back...


He looks happy.


Health mansei!


I think styles have changed a bit since the 80s...


Shiny hair... lucky Yunina!

5 comments:

corsair the rational pirate said...

Regarding the Inkel hi-fi stereo systems of the day: I was leaving Korean in '87 and tried to sell my perfectly good speakers to a place on base which was able to then sell them to Koreans (some sort of non-black market thing). These were nice speakers but, according to ajoshi, they were not "big" enough. Koreans would only by big (and by "big" he meant 4 - 5 feet tall!) because they were better.

Shaa. These were nice Polk Audios which sounded sweet. Didn't matter. I was assured that Koreans wouldn't touch them since they were only about 3 feet high.

As if size is everything!

That Inkel crap was part of the problem, not part of the solution.

ZenKimchi said...

I wish they'd revive that "stop" campaign.

"I think styles have changed a bit since the 80s..."

Yeah, the dogs now have different colored ears.

Helen said...

미도파,유니나..they remind me of long time ago! I have an inkel stereo which is 12years old. CD function doesn't work any more though.

taemin said...

lucky is "Lucky," grandpappy of the LG group

matt said...

Right... Lucky - I should have realized that.

Helen - does the cassette player still work?